Thursday, November 8, 2012

Just Call Me Sister Hadley

     It's weird to think that five months ago, I had just graduated from high school without a care in the world, and five moths from now, I'll be living at the MTC.  Last Friday, I received a text from my Stake President telling me that my mission call had been assigned and I would be getting my call on Wednesday.  As the days passed, I slowly became more anxious and my mission was about the only thing I could think about.  I couldn't concentrate in class (well...  if I had actually gone to class, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate.  But hey, I'm transferring to BYU anyway).  Finally, Wednesday arrived and I could hardly function.  I was soooooooooooo nervous and really, I'm way too young to be going on a mission, right?  I just barely graduated from high school, I've only had a job for 3 years of my life, the biggest calling I've ever had was seminary council and that was five months ago.  How on earth can I, Megan Hadley, be ready to go on a mission?!  As I tried to swallow my inadequacies, the clock seemed to have stopped.  Time was moving so slowly and I just wanted to get Layton to see where I was going.
     Finally, it was four o'clock and I was able to leave work.  I briskly walked to my car and sped away.  Luckily, the stop lights were on my side, which never happens, and I was able to make it out of Logan quickly.  I made it to Layton in an hour and picked up the very beautiful Hunter Jensen.  We then traveled together to my grandmother's basement apartment where my call was waiting for me, serenely sitting on the couch.  Finally, the time arrived to make it to my stake center to open the call (I'm currently homeless, so the bowery was the next classiest place to open it.)
     All seemed to be going well until my brave band of BYU bookworms (sometimes I enjoy alliterations) got stuck in traffic and I had to open it 20 minutes after schedule, which I guess is okay.  It was worth it having them up there because really, where would I be without Devin Anderson, who is the boyfriend a girl could probably ever want, Amber Wise (the fiery haired goddess, best friend, and beautiful ballerina,) Austen George (best friends since the second grade, subject of really creepy pictures drawn by yours truly,) and the rest of the amazing people who were there.   I was doing pretty well until I had to stand up on the table and started to pull out my letter.  That's when it hit me.  Hard.  I'm going on a mission.  (The parts surrounded by * are my thoughts.)  I read out loud "Sister Hadley...  *my brain started going fuzzy and the next sentence was a blur as I started to cry*...  You have been assigned to labor in *is that what I think it is?  No.  That's not at all what I was expecting.  Maybe I should actually read the place out loud so it seems real.* the Denmark Copenhagen Mission.  *NO!  I'm going to Denmark?!  WHAT!  It has to be real.  Everyone's talking about it.  I have to keep reading, but geez, pull yourself together!  You don't have to be shaking this much.*  You will be speaking the Danish language.  *Woah, Danish.* You will leave on April 10, 2013.  *April 10?!  That's pretty much ten years away.  How can I wait that long?  Ah well.  I'm going on a mission!  WHAT?!  Who do I hug for first?  Can I hug myself?  DANG IT LEGS, STOP SHAKING!* At this point, I had to stop reading and I got down off my pedestal, still shaking.  I was swarmed by hugs and I was in shock.  I'm going to Denmark.  The words still don't seem real, but they are. I leave in five months.  WHAT THE?!  Just call me Sister Hadley.

 My mission presidents are super cute!  I already love them!

The beautiful Denmark Copenhagen Temple.

 The beautiful Denmark flag.

My mission.  My area also includes Greenland, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment