Monday, November 12, 2012

Isabel

     My niece Isabel is one of the happiest, strongest little girls you will ever meet.  Let me give you some background information on my fighter.  Isabel Marie Hadley was five years old when she was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma.  It was discovered after a softball sized lump appeared on Isabel's upper thigh.  A few days later, we heard the chilling news that she had cancer.  She was taken out of school and started her chemotherapy, unable to play and be active like she used to.  But she fought it.  A year later, after being a poster child for Primary Children's, she was declared cancer free and we thought that was the end of it all.  She was happy, her hair was growing back, and it seemed that her trial was over.

 Before treatments, six years ago.



     And it was.  But five years later (almost a year ago) during one of her routine check ups, they found another tumor.  Isabel was now a happy fourth grader, loving life and enjoying what it gave to her.  But once again, she was diagnosed with cancer.  This time, it was Ewings sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer found in her pelvis.  I got rather emotional when she diagnosed again, as I questioned why my sweet niece had to be submitted to cancer once more.  But Isabel wouldn't lose the fight. She has battled every treatment and once again, is victorious over the disease.  Her little body has endured almost two solid years of chemotherapy treatment, feeding tubes, and constant illness.  She has missed almost two years of school and two summers where she was not able to play as much any normal child. But she is not normal. She is special and will forever hold a place in my heart.  I love you Isabel!  You are one of the strongest people I know and I'm proud to be your aunt.  You give me so much hope and strength.  And hopefully this is the last time you have to kick cancer's butt.




No comments:

Post a Comment